History of Broome-Wood Post 292
New London, Ohio
On January 22nd, 1920 the first meeting was held Tuesday evening in the Moose Hall. Charles V. Mack of Norwalk presided over the meeting and the first steps of organization were completed and officers were elected.Tim G. Emslie, who has been quite active in the American Legion work of the County, was elected Post commander. Fred Swanger was elected Vice Commander, Claire Griffin, Post Adjutant and Harry Broome, Post Finance Officer.The Legion first held their meetings on South Railroad St. then later in a North Main St. building downtown.
On August 10th, 1920 the Charter for the New London legion Post was signed at Columbus, Ohio and the official name of the post became "Lawrence E. Broome Post 292".
Lawrence E. Broome, the son of George and Mable Broome, was the first New London solider killed in World War One.He was a U.S. Marine and was killed at Belleau Woods in France on Sept. 8th,1918.
After World War Two it was decided that the Post name should be changed so a new Charter was sigined in Columbus on October 28th, 1946 and thepost name changed to "Broome-Wood Post 292. 1st Lt Jedd D. Wood was killedin North Africa on March 30th, 1943 and was the first New London boy killed in World War Two. After World War Two the younger men began arriving home,increasing the demands for a real Legion home. At this time with a newly erected garage owned by two of the Legionnaires was used as a meeting place, plans were started toward the ultimate goal, a new home. At the request of the members Royce Jennings. commander in 1949-1951 and the present commander, John Churella, partners in the construction firm of Jennings and Churella were asked to draw up the plans which would provide the impetus with which to start the building-ball rolling. Early in the year,April of 1950, Phillip Johnson, also a member a post member, gave the post a three-acre tract of land at the outskirts of town to be used as the building site of our present location ( 185 N. Main St. ).During the summer of that year,1950, the building was started with Commander Jennings laying the first block one sunday morring.The building with the help from Jennings and Churella construction and many volunteers from the post worked together on countless sundays and spare time to finish the building.
After the building was completed it was decided to postpone a formal dedication untill the outcome of the 1952 National Legion election was learned if Father Duffey, paster of Our Lady of Lords church here, was the successful candidate for National Chaplain then Broome-Wood Post would honor him at same time the dedication services were held. On December 14, 1952 the new post was open to everyone tocheck out and later that evening the dediction was held at the local school auditorium, with National Commander Lewis K. Gough and numerous guest, approximately 700 were served dinner by the Legion and Auxillary members with only two minor set backs.
From the time our Post was started thru current times veterans,there spouses and sons of these dedicated members have faithfully and tirelessly served each other and there community to perserve our fredom and beliefs.
The mantra at the time is recorded in the minutes, “It is needless to say that the Legion will devote every effort to uphold the 100% American Platform that the members and the citizens have established in the preceding months. Every ex-serviceman owes it to himself, his comrades and his community to join this Post as soon as possible. Let us not wait but step out and be a leader in making the Lawrence E. Broome Post of the American Legion one that will prove worthy of upholding New London’s war record. All ex-servicemen are eligible for membership”.
MEMORIAL DAY has always been an outstanding occasion in New London. In addition to memorial events throughout the New London community, the goal of every Veteran to it's last veteran is to keep MEMORIAL DAY sacred to the memory of our war dead of all of the wars of the country; and all graves are decorated on this National Holiday. You can visit us at the Post Home Each Memorial Day for Breakfast starting at 7:00 a.m. Post Officers and Members, travel to both local Cemeteries and the Veterans Memorial jut south of the libary to pay respects to our fallen comrades.
ARMISTICE DAY, now called VETERANS' DAY, originally marked the end of fighting in World War I. It is an important holiday on the calendar of Legionnaires everywhere and in the hearts of all Veterans. Routinely our members visit New London Schools to speak with the children. 11 o'clock on the morning of November 11, marks the exact hour of the cessation of hostility on the war fronts.
Registration Of Graves
Since it's inception American Legion Post 292 has been a leader in this community in the area of graves registration; which has been incorporated by all the American Legion Posts in Huron County. Grave Registration enables all interested parties to locate the site of the grave of each Veteran.
Scholarships and Community Projects
Father Duffy Scholarship - This is a $500.00 Scholarship given out one time a year (non-recurring) by our Post to a freshman that plans on attending an accredit college or university. The application can be found at the High School Guidance Counselor's Office and must be returned by April 30th each year. .
Join Us and Keep this History Alive